R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - The Tamiya MF01 X Chassis Thread
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM
Mini35
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
Is anyone still running this chassis? Or has the hype passed and everyone has moved on to a more "capable" chassis? It is sort of a hybrid. M-Chassis, 4WD, trail runner/scaler, possible mini TC?

I am looking for a second basher, more light off road as an alternative to my XV-01 (soon to be TC) which is currently set up for the street, low ground clearance and all. I also considered the CC-01.
  • From what I've read, it looks like a lot of the parts can be used with m05 and m06's?
  • Whats the maximum ground clearance?
  • Medium Length vs Long length setup, differences?
  • Gearing? Max/Min pinion sizes?
  • Your Pros/Cons?
  • Mandatory Upgrades? Like bearings and Oil Dampers, tires?

Both the Jimmy and Mercedes bodies look great to me. It looks to be Tamiyas introduction to a 4wd m-chassis racing class. I would assume you could put mini wheels as well as TC wheels on it. It looks pretty fun!

I pretty much only drive on my street and in my backyard which is dirt/grass/small rocks and flagstone. I've always wanted to try an m-chassis, and was really-close to getting a M05v2R. This chassis I know is less racy, more rally. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
All I will say is lower the expectations. It's absolutely not Tamiya's intro to 4wd M-chassis racing. Yes you can lower it and put Mini wheels on it but even with every hop up thrown at it it's too heavy and the centre of gravity is too high so it falls over under even moderate cornering loads on a grippy surface. I ran mine with either mini wheels and TC wheels, the result was the same. It's faster in a straight line than a conventional m-car but in the corners honestly it's hopeless much as I wish it wasn't. However if your not racing an m05v2r would also be overkill - kind of like using a NASCAR to fetch groceries. As said, a CC01 makes a better trail car but then again a stock Axial SCX10 would drop a modded to hell CC01 any day of the week. I love Tamiya and don't really go off brand but I also don't have any doubts about the limitations. Sorry to sound a bit preachy. Oh yeah I forgot, the stock rear suspension on the MF01X is garbage. It's compromised by the rear power take off for the prop shaft so you get half the down travel on the right compared to the left. And the rear dampers can only be stood vertically (or with a bit of ingenuity at about 5 degrees) which isn't great for racing either. And although the Yeah Racing long arm kit sort of fixes this it's too fragile for racing.