R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - starter box motors... in series or parallel?
Old 10-25-2016, 05:44 AM
3DRCRACER
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the wrench
can you explain, in a general sense, the difference between wiring twin motors in series vs parallel... if the motors are known to be correctly rated for 12v use, i seriously cant grasp that concept vs how batteries get redistributed when you switch up the orientation

like i said originally, i dont know if parallel is ok... the only thing i could find to denote the titan motors was rs-550pc-8021, i tried looking up that number, and i got conflicting info everywhere...

i figured the worst that will happen is the brushes wear way faster, no real "safety" concerns, its a starter box, and im not using a lipo... btw, nothing is getting hot, leads, motors, batteries... held it down pretty long to prime, than to start.. took the car off, and popped the top... so with the ultra scientific finger test, everything seems ok so far
In your 12v system,
12v rated motors should be wired in parallel. Reason being is each motor connection is wired directly to the + and - terminals of the battery and receiving the full 12v.
[IMG][/IMG]
If you check test points 1 and 8, you will get 12v.
If you check test points 2 and 7, you will get 12v.
If you check test points 3 and 6, you will get 12v.
If you check test points 4 and 5, you will get 12v.
So each motor will be seeing 12v. Current is divided between each leg.

In a series circuit,[IMG][/IMG]
the voltage is divided across each equal resistor equally.
If you check test points 1 and 4, you will get 12v.
If you check test points 1 and 2, you will get 4v.
If you check test points 2 and 3, you will get 4v.
If you check test points 3 and 4, you will get 4v.
Each motor sees 4v. Current is the same through the entire circuit.

In a 2 motor series circuit, 6v motors would be ideal.

Hopefully the images came across.