R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 06:58 PM
niznai
Tech Elite

Yeah, not sure. I use NiCds for other things these days. They are too hassle free to overlook.

But I would mention the Spintec charger (only ever seen one owned by some Corally sponsored driver) which charged and balanced all 6 cells at the same time pretty much like a current Lipo charger. No idea what it cost.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/attachme...-icc-small.jpg

That was perhaps the best I have seen.

I found the only advantage of NiCds was that you could completely abuse them and they would bounce back. Not at competitive level, just for bashing around. They didn't mind sitting about forgotten for years and then with a little bit more abuse they would come back to life. I use them in the radio, because I got bored of buying batteries. It was a relief when I found people still sold them and they cost peanuts compared to the latest and greatest non rechargeable AA batteries these days.

NiMh were always a pain in the butt with no real advantage apart from the increased capacity, which you paid for in fiddliness a hundred times over. I am happy they were relegated to history. Not a moment too soon.

Last edited by niznai; 10-23-2016 at 07:13 PM.