R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New Spektrum Radio DX6R
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2016, 05:51 AM
RookieRacer00
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wkderf
From what I read on this thread, I wouldn't have blamed you. I too was looking to jump ship on Spektrum after seeing the early problems with this radio. It was only by chance that I actually purchased a DX6R used, from someone who was in over his head with the updates and what he called the "complexity" of the radio, even though its easier to use than my DX4R. Having given the radio a fair shake, there are lots of things I LOVE about it, and just sold my 4R to use this radio going forward. Since we seem to be concentrating on the negative, let me point out some of the positives:

Ergonomics: This is hands down the MOST adjustable radio I have ever come across. The radio literally has hundreds of possible combinations in regards to mounting holes used, spacers, and wheel sizes. It may take a little bit to get it where you want it - but once you do - it will feel PERFECT for your driving stance. Even the adjustable trigger angle is something i didn't think I needed, but absolutely love.

Touch Screen: app bugs aside, being able to swipe your finger across the screen, or type in a numeric value when setting trims is VERY convenient. The scroll wheel on the DX4R is nice, but having an actual keyboard when you need it is nicer. Just think about programming in the name of your model with the DX4R... on the 6R, it takes a matter of seconds. And while we are on the subject of model names - being able to load your own photos of your actual car, and change the screen colors for each car is also pretty great. Running multiple touring cars, its nice to see at a glance of the top corner if I have the right model selected. Even more, since its easy to do, the pictures can be changed at a moments notice, and kept current with the bodies you are running.

Charging: Yes, there were issues with the cradle, and they are being worked out. but having a drop-in cradle for charging is one of the biggest draws to this radio for me after the improved ergonomics. How many times have u been on the drivers stand, and some guys Futaba starts that annoying constant beeping, because his transmitter is about to die? or watched a Futaba driver feverishly try to swap lipos in his radio before a heat or main, because the ones in the radio were dead. With the 6R - all you have to do is pop it in the cradle when you're in the pits, and you should NEVER be without a solid amount of battery life. Futaba guys I show my 6R to in the pits are MOST excited about this feature.

Future: This one takes a bit of faith, but because of the nature of the android OS and app system, there are lots of future possibilities for this radio, some of which are already available. With bluetooth connectivity, soon ESCs will have BT built in, eliminating the need for a programming box. you'll instead be able to use your radio to program or adjust your ESC. Take that a step further, how about telemetry direct from your ESC to your radio? it will be possible. How about your radio being linked in to the tracks timing system, and instead of calling the times out, you can listen on a BT headset, or even better, have your transmitter vibrate when you set your best lap? Full datalogging of your throttle & steering inputs broken down by lap? The ideas go on and on - and thats the whole point. The radio opens up a world of possibilities.

If you don't mind the growing pains, there is a great radio underneath them, that will be able to do some great things in the future.

I for one dont regret purchasing mine, and feel confident enough about it to sell my 4R. If you are still hesitant, give it a bit more time, or til the next app update, but the version thats out now seems to be fairly solid in terms of radio operation, and things like transmit always on & screen sleep which i consider to be secondary, will be fixed in due time.
Hmmmm.....that's definitely food for thought