R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Old TC Cars - Still Racing Competitively
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 09:40 PM
bertrandsv87
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Then I would assume you never used a good nimh energ4600 with the current crop of 17.5t motors... Also, if you add several of those supercapacitors inline with the nimh , the voltage drop will be almost eliminated, and when you consider that a fully charged nimh can get up to 8.8volts or higher, the lipo might lose the battle at the low amp loads seen in stock racing, as long as the total weight of your car+nimh is 1350grams... Yeah the nimh does not have the crazy 7500mah capacity, but you won't even need 2000mah for a 6minute run...
I would run a energ4600 nimh today if I had one , but they are impossible to find, and my car would need to weigh around 900gram without a battery, which is very hard to achieve in any touring car...
Lipo offers many advantages over nimh like lightweight, more energy density, lower internal resistance, and you can run them all day with no fade, but when both types are operating at their peak with all else being equal, the energ4600 nimh is very competitive .....
Originally Posted by SpeedySST
No one on the planet believes that Nimh has more power than a good Lipo. If you really think that then I have a bridge in NY to sell you.

Last edited by bertrandsv87; 10-22-2016 at 09:59 PM.