R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 AM
haplm
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 4roller
So cool!

I can't wait to see you custom build. I see that a lot of people in these races are using modded chassis of x-rays and older Tamiya kits. Then almost everyone is driving a hatchback body of some sort. Haha
The reason why a lot of people is using these old cars is, that those kits were not so advanced and finely tuned touring racers, so it is relatively easy to convert them to a rally racer (higher ride height, longer suspension travel, extreme steering angles, protection from elements). That doesn't say that the same thing can't be done with modern touring kits, but it is much harder to do it, and you need tons of custom parts, so it mostly doesn't worth it.

I don't understand it myself, why so many people is running hatchbacks. Yes, I know, I have one as well, but that's only because the body was in the box :-). However, for new season, I have two new bodies. One is the exact replica of Gazoo Racing Toyota 86, and the second one will be Datsun 240z Rally, with a custom paint scheme (and hopefully decals as well). That will be my primary body...