R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 07:51 AM
4roller
Tech Addict

Wow you got your rs4 wheels hella flush. Nice paint job. I like the low-low. Super aero. Do you scrape?

I'll look into making the BMW sedan body more fitting, now that my suspension is set up pretty well.

The Subaru hatchback body has a crazy molded plastic wing with a ridiculous amount of curve. Which ends almost vertical. It looks awesome and definitely has downforce, to the point of drag. Which makes me wonder if that's another reason my front end is lifting. Ill try removing it. I remember one previous poster was saying that wing was too much. I also might cut the back down a little to let air pass under better. Or I could add some canards to the front wheels. Yeah!

Foams you say. Good idea, for speed runs only. I actually had a set of hpi 1/12 scale foams on my old rc10 that I loved. Little tiny wheels they were. I chunked them pretty hard, but I think they lasted quite a long time. Those were rear only, so maybe thats why they lasted.

The chassis roll is pretty evident.

I will start messing with the body and aerooooo. With all the downforce this car is about to get, that means more suspension fiddling. My favorite! 🔧

"Luke, use the Downforce ..."

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
It's certainly possible for the car to go faster without a body, because it has less frontal surface area that needs to push air out of the way. It will be a lot harder to control, though.

Does the STI body have a spoiler? HPI makes several bolt-on nylon touring car spoilers that can be used to keep the car securely on the ground. I use Lexan high-downforce spoilers on my touring car bodies when the bodies come with them, but when they don't I use one of HPI's nylon spoilers. They have angle shims that you can use to control how much downforce you get, so you don't waste more power than necessary keeping the car on the ground.

I have an RS4 that I've built as a speed-run car; at present it can do 61mph. With a Dodge Viper body and a high-downforce spoiler attached, you can see it hunker-down as it speeds up, because it stops dancing around.

You might want to camp eBay for a set of HPI belted X-Pattern tires (part 4495) like I did, or else get a set of foam tires, to use for speed runs. That will prevent ballooning and tearing the tires off the rims. Just don't do a lot of powersliding with them, because the belted X-Patterns are discontinued and you wouldn't want to waste them.

Depending on how off-center the BMW body is, it might be easier to just heat-up the body posts with a cigarette lighter and bend them slightly to compensate for the off-center-ness of the holes in the body.