View Single Post
Old 09-25-2016, 10:54 PM
PutAwayWet
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 2016-2017 Magnuson CC Season Opener

The Seattle RC Racers kicked off the 2016/2017 indoor onroad season with 55 entries on the night, promising another strong indoor campaign at Magnuson Park. While some of us were pressed to get our stuff together after a major effort over the past months to launch our outdoor program at Seatac, there were plenty of racers on hand who were dialed in and ready for action.

Scale Spec, despite the introduction of a wider range of ROAR-approved motors, was the same as it ever was: tight at the front. Franko surrendered the lead in the early running, and Ray took over with Jerry in pursuit. Jerry pressed hard, keeping it within less than a second of Ray for most of the main until Jerry finally did tap out letting Ray roll ahead to a comfortable victory. But don’t mistake the final gap for the whole story, it was a close one.

Stock 1/12th saw Brian and I swap qualifying heats, and I was on his tail in the early running. However, an incident within my visual window distracted me for a split second, the wrong split second, and I dumped it on the far left entrance to the straight, letting Brian get off ahead out of DRS range. Dang! Next time. We had new drivers in the field, and reports through the night were very positive. 1/12th scale rocks! Here’s hoping for a renewal of a historically strong class for the club.

Novice was great with seven entries signaling interest in the sport for the future. While I hope all of the racers hang in, certainly the odds suggest we will see a couple convert to long-term regulars. There was a smart mix of touring cars: stock, scale spec, and even a mod-powered beast, also McKenna’s 1/12th. It was Kyle Seifert, Franko’s son-in-law who piloted a Scale Spec rig to victory, but not before having to earn it as the lead changed hands a few times in the final laps.

Modified Touring was full of determined talent, but none were more determined than Korey Harbke who picks up where he left off last season as the club’s most consistent, dominating driver. But the season is just under way, and one has to believe that Trav will find his pace very soon, and always there is Andrew and Jake poised and ready to exploit any opportunity.

Formula 1 was invited back last season and the die-hard scale racing crew continues to show up in force to menace each other with these challenging open wheel beasts. Actually, we were treated to one of the best races I’ve seen out of the class as George and Russ dueled each other and traffic and delivered a scintillating main. If that’s how it will be for the rest of the season, things are definitely looking good for the F1 effort.

Stock Touring was back on top with the largest turnout of the night. Again, it was another brilliant main as Justin and Ron were nose to tail in the closing laps, with Ron defending. A last lap, last corner incident saw Ron tapped out by Justin, who literally could not tap the brakes fast enough to avoid taking the win, a win he had decidedly mixed feelings about. But Ron is a sporting gentleman and knows it was inadvertent and that there will be a next time. Great racing, both of you! Sometimes it just happens, and while Justin was mortified and Ron a bit gutted, there were no actual hard feelings. Thanks to both of you for the thrilling race.

Finally, Modified 1/12th rolled out with all racers sporting new look 6.5/blinky power packages. Feelings were mixed about the trend gathering momentum around the country and world to restore some sanity to this fastest of all fast classes. I’m a huge fun and will likely keep it on board. Stuart hates it. Korey is closer to Stuart, and Brian is right there with them. We’re open mod by spec, so what you saw was a gentleman’s agreement that may not make it past September of the season. I was still stabbing brake at the end of the straight and using full range of throttle in the infield. The straight was of course less hair raising, and Korey’s car was not rippling the rug under acceleration as it usually does. So perhaps we’ve traded away some of the thrill for moderation. But I appreciated getting through a full night on one set of tires without feeling like it required a big compromise on either end of the heats, and I wasn’t needing to rebuild a stressed out diff after Q2. So, nice. We’ll see, though.

We race this Wednesday at Hangar 30.

Results attached.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Round1.txt (58.8 KB, 82 views)
Round2.txt (60.8 KB, 82 views)
Round3.txt (48.3 KB, 129 views)