R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2016, 09:49 AM
eR1c
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What are your thoughts on this race spec m-chassis vehicle? Other than a body, tires and electronics, are there any nice to have upgrades for this? I think the v2 pro looks pretty complete, this version has DCJ drive shafts, and threaded aluminum dampers.
If you don't already own an M05 or M05V2, then in my opinion this is the one to get (otherwise you can upgrade your M05/M05V2 to the "R" spec easily). The "R" version has pretty much everything you'd want for a race ready vehicle in one package. That is a good deal, $180ish shipped from Tower. I'd recommend this for your first M05- car. Thoughts are this is a good car, I can't really think of anything you'd want to do to this. You may want to try playing w/ a different diff in the front -to get it tighter ...but not really necessary (and would only matter if your racing it).

Also, I am new to m-chassis, what pitch gearing does this vehicle accept? M.06? And up to what size pinions can it handle? I bought some 22/23 for my XV-01, didn't use the because I went to 48P and hope I could possibly use the M.06 pinions if I get an m-chassis.
The M05 class of vehicles are under-geared in my opinion, I think the stock and largest pinion you can use is the 21t. You can go smaller but not larger in size, ...not sure why anyone would want to go smaller though. So your pretty much stuck w/ the 21t pinion as your only option. -That pinion comes in the kit.

Do you plan on racing this car or bashing?
Just curious.