R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - On Road RC Participation Way Down
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 06:06 PM
Grenade10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Just back from the Great Lake Challenge in Toledo last weekend, so missed the last race at MHOR.

Conversation about on road was interesting. There are areas like Florida and California that have large weekly programs but the rest of the nation seem to be low or NO turn out for weekly racing. There are major events that are drawing better numbers this year, some even selling out months in advance. However,the traveling racers seem to be the same or mostly the same at each event. For nitro racing you really need a traveling partner, I have been lucky to have found one but if you don't it can be a hard week or weekend.

I also know how refined on road cars are now. Got a new 1/8 open car and went a full second a lap faster using the same engine, tires and body. And just like carpet racing you need current stuff to keep up.

Have a friend running dirt as there is not much pavement or carpet racing and he has an aluminum tub RC10 knocking at the door for the A main at the weekly racing. Not many parts, tools or other stuff needed to have some fun.

So we on road racers have been spoiled when we run carpet and complain the traction is not like IIC, Snowbirds even MHIC. Same thing for pavement racing, we don't like the size, layout or people running the races. When we voice those opinions other listen and don't go. Just starting the downward spiral until the track closes and gets changed to dirt.

Ps. Track where my friend is racing dirt is one of the longest running tracks in the nation. They have hosted several national on road events, then they pulled the carpet and paved it with asphalt, but now the asphalt is covered in dirt ...

The Track in Connecticut .... almost open as long as MHOR.

Last edited by Grenade10; 09-01-2016 at 06:19 PM.