R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 09:43 AM
Woulvesbaine
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
It was designed in a market where traction was always super high (UK carpet). If I recall, it was competitive but fragile.

In our region (upper midwest), traction has been steadily falling, not gaining. We were pulling wheelies on slicks in the RM days, now one must dial in the tire prep, or the car will be difficult to drive, and slow. The correct tires, new out of the bag are almost un-drivable.

I am a long time racer who doesn't race very frequently anymore. I am considering trying the 4-gear because I do not get the practice time necessary to get "fast" with a looser setup. See comment about tire prep above.
I had the first of two predators shipped to the U.S. (seriously). And sadly, I sold it years ago. You had to hand file the first versions of the carbon fiber center shaft to get it to fit. Fun times.

The biggest issue of the car for US tracks was insufficient ride height and droop. You simply couldn't drive it on US tracks with our crazy jumps. It was a pure grass/turf car back in its time. Perfect for a rally or touring car.

I've had 4 gear and 3 gear cars from different manufacturers and overall I prefer 3 gear. When the track is completely blown out or dusty, I do like how the 4 gear just seems to have better forward traction.

But I prefer the overall agility and balanced turning that I experience with a 3 gear, so especially at a lower level of driving, I would give it a try.