R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - A Dying Hobby
Thread: A Dying Hobby
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 03:21 PM
cbaker65
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Pville Stig
Its simple economics. When people have disposable income to burn they use that money for something they enjoy. The first thing to go when there is no disposable income is a hobby.

If you think this hobby is dying i think you're living in your own little bubble and may want to get out and take a look around.

From when i started in the mid seventies the hobby has evolved greatly and the actual costs have stayed proportionally to the rate of inflation. If you raced in the late eighties into the nineties the costs are far less in electric racing now than they used to be. It used to be a niche, rich mans hobby but has definitely become more main stream then ever. How can Traxxas afford to spend the kind of money on advertising like they do if there wasn't a source of income?

We are lucky here in the Austin, Texas area because we have an old school racer who understands and enjoys the sport and has spent a lot of his own money to create a special facility that is second to none anywhere in the world. If everyone involved in RC Off Road could have a track like we do i think you would change your mind about the health of the hobby. If you build it and do it right, the people will show up,
I'm sorry ,I do see you point ,I do live in a bubble ,California!...