R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 08:10 AM
Josh Cyrul
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

When Lipo first came into the industry, I begged the powers at be in ROAR and IFMAR to create a standard for Lipo battery performance to keep the speeds in check. I proposed a 2-3 year evaluation of performance and meeting with mfg's to understand the current performance gain along with possible future development yielding a reduction in case size. Be it 2-3mm in all directions or just in length/width, whatever it took to maintain say 5000mah in 1s (the capacity at that time)...

Off-road has gone to shorty packs as they don't need all the extra mah. TC Mod is using "low CG" packs with less mah because we don't need it. So, this again shows how these classes are grip limited yet still run open motor/speedo to allow drivers to tune to their feel/style preference.

Nate - This is Modified - A class not restricted to a pile of motor rules in order to try and control speed. Really, the 1/12 Mod motor I've run is basically the same since we switched to Lipo/brushless. I can run my motor from the ROAR Nats back at Portland and still be competitive today. Meanwhile, how many spec motors have raised the bar since then forcing racers to keep up with the times?? 6.5 will be no different.

I also agree 10000% on a rear body height reduction. I'll measure past bodies vs current to give an idea of the rake difference and rear side dam/wing height. This is another thing I'd like to test and even modify some current bodies to see the lap time reduction.

Hanulec - I've seen you drive mod... There's a lot of guys that should be included on that list that have put in the time and have the skills to move out of 17.5... Yourself, the Klingforths, Sydor, Gee, Larry... The list is too long. If we took all the guys that had the skills/experience right now and kicked them out of stock and they still ran 2 classes, Mod (TC and 1/12) would be one of or the biggest class at these races...