R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Let's talk modified 1/12
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2016, 06:18 AM
vafactor
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I've always loved mod 1/12th. During the nicad and brushed motor era, I ran it myself for years and did reasonably well even at some of the bigger races. I was never a threat to win the Nats or the Indoor Champs, but I did win my fair share of local events and I was good enough to not be a moving chicane while on track with guys like Blackstock, Dosek, and others at that level of talent. Then along came brushless, then boost, and then lipos. Somehow there was never enough time or money available for me to learn how to handle and exploit all of this new "black box" electronic technology. So the gap between my own capabilities and those of the true top tier racers grew substantially wider. Eventually it became obvious to me that mod 1/12th was no longer a viable choice for me. Sad, but true. I still love to watch mod races on the few chances that I get to travel these days and when there are a few guys in the house who can really make the mod cars sing. Problem is that nowadays, even at a race like the Halloween classic which draws about as much talent as any carpet race in the US, the last few times I was there, what I saw was that there were really only just 2 or 3 (maybe 4) guys who had any shot at running anywhere near the lead pace and the other cars were largely just in the way. Back in the day, the qualifiers would sort out the cream from the milk and eventually there would be a heat or maybe even two full of the cream of the crop. I'd often find myself in the middle of or maybe even towards the front of the B, which was fine by me and oh so satisfying. But that sorting process simply doesn't happen when only maybe a dozen guys max (and usually less) run the class. What ends up happening is that, the very few missile fast cars, out of necessity and purely because of the low car count, always are running among several cars that are 5 or more laps off the pace. It has become almost painful to watch. That's why I strongly believe that something needs to be done to rein in the speeds......for two reasons.......1) so that mod is more attainable for a serious and experienced (but not superhuman) racer such as myself, and 2) so that the delta between the superhumans and the upper level club racers is not so unsustainably wide. Maybe then more than 8 or 10 guys will run mod and hopefully the mod racing will be sustainable.