R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya XV-01
Thread: Tamiya XV-01
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 PM
fyrstormer
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Driving with the tail swinging out is great fun, though. Just like a real rally car showing off for the spectators. The oversteer is very controllable on this car.

If you keep oiling the suspension shims on a regular basis, the oil working its way out from between the shims should keep the shims clean. You have to wipe the excess oil away after pretty much every run though. I'm too lazy to do that, so I live with a little slop instead.

The long dampers have the same ride height as the stock dampers with the long lower eyelets attached. You have to buy different shock towers to use the long dampers, but the car handles cracks and bumps SO well because the wheels have the full range of travel instead of having the shocks bottom-out while the chassis is still well above the ground.

I like HPI V-Groove Pro Compound tires for on-road use. I have them on multiple cars now. HPI Super Radials are also pretty good, but not as soft and grippy as the V-Grooves; the Super Radials don't really start to grip well until you wear the shine off them and get them warm, whereas the V-Grooves are good to go immediately. And for rally use I love HPI's Pirelli rally tires in S-compound. I use D-compound on my RS4 rally car because it's so much heavier, but even with the harder rubber, the Pirelli tread has so much mechanical grip that they still work well as long as the pavement isn't super-smooth. Those are all 26mm though.