R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Orion Vortex R8.1 Pro ESC
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2016, 11:47 AM
Stubbs
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-t_sbs
Small update. Finally was able to run this combo R8.1 pro and SMC 1900 in a race last weekend and absolutely loved it. Temps were right around 134 F. Such a smooth combo. Picked up a second for my truggy.

What motor are guys using with this esc for truggy?
I've got the Orion 2100, and just picked up an SMC1900 to try out as well. The big issue I have is a very twitchy initial throttle input. If I'm already at part throttle, and just giving it more or less throttle based on where I'm at on the track, everything is fine. However, when I brake coming into a turn, and then get back on the throttle, there is a very abrupt initial hit that makes my car get very loose.

I've already tried different expo on my radio, wider & narrower neutral range, set punch level to 1 and 2 on the ESC, but nothing has made the problem go away. On the braking side, it's smooth as butter, but I just can't get it that smooth on the throttle side.

What's also strange is that, if I have the car on the stand, and go from nothing to full throttle, my Tekin motor and ESC will rev up smoothly. When doing the same thing with the Orion motor and ESC, there is an initial spin up for maybe 1/2 to 3/4 of a second, then a definite step up in RPM that can be easily heard and felt. It's almost like it shifts into another gear......very odd.

I don't know if that's what I'm feeling on the track, but it's acting like that, and the time where it occurs coincides very well....