R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2005 ROAR On-Road Carpet Nationals
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2005, 09:50 PM
Team CRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The layout for the nats was designed by Frank Calandra. I am not enitre sure that it is an all horse power and no skill track.
raffaelli...

George asked for a suggested layout to illustrate what the "traveling" road course racer would expect to see. He gave me the dimensions of his track at 100 x 43.

Unfortunately, George had to reduce his track to 100 x 38 for visibility issues, so my design was NOT able to be used.

My design was more technical, narrower and much different. I believe my layout would have been 3 seconds slower. There are places on this track that are 12 feet wide, much too wide and open for a nats layout. My design had a 9 foot straight and sweeper and an infield with 8 foot lanes.

I don't profess to be the ultimate track designer by any means (Terry Rott is the man!), but I did try to give George an idea of what the racers were going to expect to see at a ROAR National level.

Even though the layout is more wide open than I would like to see, it still keeps the drivers on there toes. If it was up to me, it would have been much tighter and more technical. I have seen worse, much worse.... just last month in fact at another large race.

I just wanted to jump in here and clarify that I had nothing to do with the final layout that was ultimately used for the Nats. I wish it was tighter and more technical.... but... a race track it is and the best drivers are still rising to the top.

Frank