R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - New to electric, with questions.
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2016, 06:38 AM
BHorn
Tech Rookie

Default New to electric, with questions.

Hi all, new to the forum, and brushless systems. First off, my Kit. Old Xray XB8 in very good shape mechanically. I converted it to Brushless with the RCMonster motor mount, Novak Activ8 V2 ESC, and HD8 2200 KV motor, running 4s 4500Mah 50C batteries. I finally got everything cleaned, lubed, and installed. Took it for it's shake down run, and it works great, except for heat. I started off on pavement, with a 17t pinion, and stock 46t spur. Without the body, motor temps ran pretty stable at 140 degrees. With the body on, it went up to 150 degrees, and stable, with the ambient temp at around 90 degrees, on back to back hard, full throttle pulls. The motor instructions say anything below 170 degrees is good. I then took it to a baseball field, and played around in the infield. Hard packed dirt, with very fine gravel. Still, the temps stayed around 150 degrees, so I did some drifting. Nothing more than say, half throttle. I played until the lipo cutoff kicked in, and brought it back. Took a temp reading, and it was up to 190 degrees! YIKES! So, my question is, should I go down to a 15t pinion? Add motor fans? I am on the most basic setting on the ESC. Drag brake off, minimum brake at 1, Brake frequency 5, O degrees of timing, and dynamic timing is off. I had the mesh set as I always have, with a nitro engine. Any ideas why the temp spiked on dirt? Any info, or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.