R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Serpent 5.0
Thread: Serpent 5.0
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2016, 03:34 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Loheswaran
Is the 'roll damper' a tuned 'mass damper' like they had on the Bennetton F1 car, or have I got that wrong?

If so I was wondering when someone scaled that down for an RC car - very impressive.

I bet you they have a clear set of instructions based upon conditions as to how much the damper is 'damped' so to speak
It kinda depends which concept your talking about...The original mass damper concept was a totally separate system that got banned. It wasn't linked to the suspension, just was a suspended weight which was utilised to help damp out tyre frequency movement, due to the big sidewalls used on F1 cars.
After that system was banned, teams utilised rotating weights with worm gears in damper bodies (so called inertia dampers) in the third damper position to help replicate a similar effect, whilst linking it to actual suspension movement

A lot of that has been replaced with interlinked hydraulic systems these days though (which on a side note linking front to rear - FRIC - is now not allowed... although linking left to right is still possible).

I would be surprised if it's a mass/interia damper on the Serpent though. Suspect it's simply a damper to damp the roll movement, independent from the pitch movement. Think of it like a 12th pod, where you have separate roll and centre dampers.