R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Official AARCMCC EP On Road Thread
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 07:27 PM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'll run through the changes to the finals in turn. Something to think about though is that you need to think of a lot of these proposals in a holistic manner. We have purposefully tried to keep the regulations seperate to make the proposals easier to follow, but also work together to provide better events.

1) 2.4.2 applys to a new grade of event, not a State or Nationals. These would be purely to allow sanctioned events to be run at clubs to get experience, without the pressure of a state or nationals event. We are looking specifically at events like the Newcastle GP, Tamworth's Easter meeting and similar. As such, we don't want to be to restrictive on clubs... it's more for proving out the organisational side of things. Hence leaving the specification open to a clubs discretion for tracks.

2) Counting rounds for the event tie's into the format going to a 5qual, 3 Finals format The main intention of the formula as written is to make it clear that it is the two worst scores that are dropped, as events should only be shortened by wet weather, in which case the new wet weather rules would take precedence. (There is the caveat via 6.1.1 that clubs can run a different format, but that has to approved by the section committee... in which case counting rounds can be altered and then published on the event entry form)

A large intention of the proposals is to simplify the rule book and make it easier to follow. 6.9.12 as currently written does not do this, and would be quite superflous to requirements when viewed with other proposals.

However, I will agree that to suit re-grades, a re-wording is needed. Either specifically to account for regrades after 2 and 4 rounds, or adjust the formula used. Something I'll raise with the rest of the committee.

[My personal preference would be to do away with re-grading altogether, as it frankly isn't needed having had a seeding practise round on the first morning of the event.. but frankly I don't think that would get through!]

3) The meeting format proposed would be adjusted to 5 and 3 for all. Any club intending to run an event will be expected to schedule 3 leg finals for all competitors classes, including B and C's. So a lot of the confusion on results you are talking about is simply not warranted, as if there is no wet weather, then simply put, you'll race three legs and count two. Simple.
5 and 3 is a well known and popular format, and easy to schedule into two days. It also provides equal amounts of racing for all drivers (not favoring the A finalists), and greatly simplifies the schedule for event organisers and drivers. No need to have to try to create space for A finalist to charge batteries within the finals schedule, keep racers at the track for longer... and you actual race more!
Now, if there is wet weather, then the proposed wet weather regs take precedence (via 7.3.1) which has a more detailed way to account for finals as you've read.

4) What if the TQ man gets taken out by 2nd place who then goes onto win the first final, whilst TQ post his 7th, but then TQ doesn't get a chance to rectify that as it rains...is that fair either? No system is perfect, but I would argue that giving recognition for the performance put in already that weekend is fairer than most.