R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Yokomo MR-4TC SD
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2005, 02:46 AM
Horatio
Tech Elite

Originally posted by iamramos
Most people will forget that if you break an arm or hub carrier you probably bent a hinge pin on impact. Due to adjustability, the hinge pin isn't supported well between the suspension mounts very well, but, I'll take tuneability over the few buck anyday. I'll recomend that you get a couple packs for spares and just maintanance.
Some of these weak plastic parts would break without any major impact to speak of - just hopping over a dot, clipping a curb - sometimes even just under normal racing loads.

I for one have never bent any pin or shaft on my Yok, but during my Yok's first season, numerous arms, carriers and steering knuckles failed. The things they all had in common was poor material and poor moulding. Thankfully Yokomo attempted to sort things out by revising the parts, but in the end it was quite clear the G parts were far stronger and also better made. Note the choice of material in the subsequent CGM kits.

It's history now, but anyone thinking of racing an SSG with the plastic parts for the first time needs to know these things.

Properly moulded parts needn't compromise tuneability, either.

So to sum up - get the G parts and replace the plastic parts as they fail. Better still, replace the plastic parts with G parts before they fail and save some fustration.