R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Awesomatix EP Touring Car (A700 Shaft Drive)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:41 PM
danielc3009
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by WesRaven
I don't have the RFG, so I'm not sure how that may impact shimming and clearances unfortunately. But in general I don't really measure my upstop, I simply make sure it doesn't allow the SPR02 to go up so far all the stress is on the SPR02 and AM17.

I have not tried going that direction in rear bump steer, so I can't comment on that setting specifically, but I would use a setup station to make sure I'm shimming the right direction. Check the toe at standard ride height, then press the chassis down/lift it up and check the toe again.

The SPR02H still touches the AM17 just like the original units, but I do still use my upstop screws just to spread the stress of the impact if the suspension goes up that high.

Edit; I'm curious what your opinion/insight is on the RFG and what surfaces you have tried it on. I have been considering getting one but on the fence. Haven't really seen a whole lot of feedback on it.
It does seam to increase rear grip. The first time I ran it, it was on low grip carpet and I didn't change the set up on the car. The car had lots of rear grip and under steered for about 3 minutes then the rear tyres started squealing due to over heating and lost grip. I've now got a team drivers setup for the RFG on my car and it goes really well.

I never got on with it on high grip carpet. The back end would let go at corner entry on high speed sweepers, but I think it was a setup issue. The car had a loose rear end before and the RFG made the problem worse, possible again to overheating the tyres.

I tried it on asphalt a couple of weeks ago and the rear was planted at mid to corner exit but a bit loose at corner entry, hence why I was thinking about adjusting the rear bump steer. I never driven on asphalt before so I don't know if the RFG made any difference.

I got another race on asphalt in 3 weeks and I'll do a comparison with and without the RFG and let you know how I get on.