R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Maclan Racing Products Discussion
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Cain
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Got a chance to run my MR4 in race conditions today. No vids though, can't figure out where the wife put the camera lol.

Anyway, I went with similar gearing that I used on my HW 4000KV motor, a 15T pinion on my DESC10 4x4 SCT.

My impressions are that the motor makes a bit more grunt that the HW Motor, while running about 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the HW motor with similar gearing. Considering that the HW motor has that big heatsink around the middle not that surprised.

The motor made enough of an impression on me that I am going to keep it and see what else I can get out of it as it works quite well and it temps well too.

Now, onto an issue I saw someone have. Another fast racer liked the performance of the MR 17.5 I had so he picked one up. His vehicle was visibly fast, VERY FAST, but, he kept having this problem that almost seemed like cogging around the track. It got to the point that he pulled the motor out, and dropped in his much slower Schuur Speed motor and the issues went away which leads me to think its a motor issue.

Now, he said he found that the issue seemed to become very less noticeable or almost go away as the motor heated up. And his motors were not coming off anything hotter than like 130 degrees or so.

Any ideas? He is going to follow up with A-main, and I mentioned to give Maclan a call too .

Lastly, I played with timing settings as previously I liked the feel of 40 degree timing but wanted to see if I coudl get better performance by going with a higher timing and a smaller pinion / bigger spur setup. I went down on the pinion size 5 teeth when I did this change and the car was very fast, temp was about 165 after the mains. I didn't get more time on it though.

Considering the car I am running in the stock class is a bit heavy in comparison to others at about 1700grams , I may run a bit more with this since or try the other way. I feltlike I wanted a bit more punch, however, lap times were right up there though, so maybe a bit more gearing change?

All in all, it was a great day for me till the mains lol. I TQ the 2wd buggy class and the SCT 4x4 class , but finished 3rd in each after some crashes. I did though real in the leader till about the end of the race after being lapped from what I recall in stock buggy.