R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 03:23 AM
Josh L
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BatCarC5
Can anyone recommend a setup for a dusty, low bite outdoor track? I'm having issues with understeer in the sharp turns. It's manageable in the wider turns, but wants to push after the apex in hairpins. I almost have to let off completely to stay in the groove. Everyone else at the track runs Teknos, so I'm pretty much in the dark with suspension tuning. At first I thought it was my driving habits, but I raced on a high bite indoor track for the first time a few weeks ago and this thing handled like it was on rails.

My current setup is stock shocks and springs mounted in the center of the control arms and towers all the way around, 32.5F/27.5R, 5-5-3 diffs, 2*camber F/R, 2* toe F/R, long Ackerman, silver front sway bar, super soft Blockades (all the Tekno guys use Cityblock 2s), Savox 1256, 4300HD 14/40. I'm still new at this (just got bumped up from rookie to 4wd SC at the end of last season) so any help would be greatly appreciated.
This is going to depend on your driving style. Do you shoot in plant the nose and whip around, or do you like to keep consistent momentum.
The setup in loam with the SCTE is a bear compared to the tekno. But your right, on the clay stuff the SCTE is hard to mess with.
You should consider taking out a degree of rear tow to increase your effective slip angle some for less push over all around a turn.
Just remember your going to decrease your straight line stability some when you do it.
You can also help things out by adjusting your roll centers.
Higher on the tower using the upper holes prevent aggressive roll while the lower holes promote it. Roll can be your friend when it comes to losing side bite into a turn. You can tweak it some with the sway bars. Alternately many will use a lighter front or even take it off all together to promote more front lean while a turn, which also promotes more side bite.

Shorter links increases steering and decreases stability into corner. With slight on power gain
(Twitchy)

Longer link will increase stability and make the truck less responsive. (Easier to drive)

That being known, you can try to shorten the links on the nose a bit as a starting point. You can also stand the rear shocks up a bit more if your getting to much side bite from the rear. Antisquat will also effect this on power.

Being that the SCTE is considerably lighter than the Tekno, it also likes to ride on top of things while the other truck will dig down in the rough.
I have both trucks and the Tekno is much more packish, and has much less shock resonance than the 2.0 has. This truck was designed for the smooth stuff and that is where is excels.