R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2002, 09:42 PM
darnold
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Stevie- Hard to read your numbers. If they are accurate then you have some poor packs. However, I don't think that's the issue (poor packs) although it could be. It seems that first off you are not discharging your packs to a consistent point such as 3.6v for 4 cell packs and 5.4v for 6 cell packs (.90v/cell). Therefore when you go to charge your packs again you have them with different amounts of charge left in them and this will give poor, inconsistent readings because some will take longer to charge because they have less charge in them then others which were left with more charge in them. So discharge the batteries to the above voltages and then after they cool charge them and record the numbers.

Concerning the numbers the real problem is that charge readings are not too helpful for determining pack performance because of the algorithem that they must use for MAH/Joules or MilliAmp Hours.

With that said you can get some general idea of possible pack performance using the charge numbers so this is what I look for.

#1. Charge time (this lets me know if there has been a false peak. Anything under 2300sec. with a properly discharged pack is a false peak for 3000's) Pack should be warm to the touch also.

2. MAH (this gives a ruff idea of capacity, for 3000's 3200mah and up is good. If this number decreases from the original 1st and 2nd charges by more than 300mah then you have more than likely lost capacity, that is bad in modified racing of any type.

3. Peak Voltage (To a point lower is better it seems which is good. If I remember correctly if your voltage gets higher than .10v-.15v/pack on a consistent basis compared to the original 1st and 2nd charges AND, your CHARGE TIME INCREASES, then you are LOSING PUNCH which is to say that the Internal Resistance has increased, this is bad.

4. Joule Ratings are nice but since they are the combination of Charge time, Charge Rate, and Peak Voltage if you increase any one of those three parameters you will increase the Joule Rating. As I just wrote in #3 if you have an increase in charge time AND and increase in peak voltage then that is a bad thing from a performance standpoint. Joule Ratings don't make this differentiation for you so don't count on it is my advise to you.

Now, the charge readings ARE good for keeping track of individual packs as you can see from above for determining if they are losing performance. That is the main thing that I use the charge readings for, and that's what I would advise you to do as well. Hope this helps.

DS- So I take it that you dislike the Speed8 body? LOL, hehehehe
Most of the 12th bodies that I have seen for competition look pretty good to me and yes, some look more realistic than others. I don't know if that's saying I can go with the flow on this or I have lousy taste. LOL

Yes Kev, I already know... you're going to say I have lousy taste and then some....LOL, hehehehe