R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - SLAPMASTER - 1/12th MS2.2
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2005, 12:28 PM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default brainstorming

Now I think that we are doing some productive thinking.

Dom and Rudedog- it sounds like you both are racing on simular tracks in at least the characteristics of the track. I know that when I raced at Salem, the car had intense steering for the opening couple of laps, then it settled down and then the last minute, it pushed. To fix that, I went to stiffer center oil (30wt), stiffer center spring (blue), stiffened the side springs slightly. I believe what was happeining was that the car had too much chemical traction initially, then went into a static mechanical grip mode that eventually faded as power tappered off. The cure seemed to be to add more mechanical traction through oil, spring, and torsion and less traction sauce applied to the front tires (1/4"). It worked at Salem, it might work for Rudedog.

Serpentracer- The bottom plate is something that I am looking at to see if I can make up an adjustable wheel base car. Since the t-bar is mounted up against the motor bulkhead (Asc parts), the wheel base can not go any shorter. If a plate was to be longer at it's mount holes (spacing the t-bar more forward) then I could move the chassis mounting holes more forward therefore giving us a choice to change out lower plates to suit track styles. If the IRS bulkheads are shorter and the plate is more occommodating, then we are in business. You guys may have to help me out here as I do not have any Rug Rat stuff.

Another thing to note in the lower plate. Look at it closely as you flex the rear pod forward. If you look at where the t-bar mounts to the plate, you notice a slight twist or flex in the lower plate. I know that some folks chop off the tail end of a t-bar to use instead of the 3 plastic spacers. This should act as a more rigid mount to the plate instead of the 3 spacers. We could also try a piece of c/f or steel to eliminate most of that flex. What that should gain for us would be more off power steering (for those that need that). It should created nearly the same effect as a stiffer center spring. This might help Dom and Rudedog. Don't get me wrong Dom, there is always more room to go faster

Serpentracer- you're scaring me with this mill out in a square business. I would stick to relief sinking at the screw heads.

Brian