R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What to buy...$450 budget
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2016, 08:40 AM
draboyd19
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Yeah, agree with many others - don't ignore the used route, as there are so many great users on rctech that would get you a good deal.....almost all the used ones have upgrades already on them (and/or) spares. Just look at the trader ratings of the seller if have concerns. I've always bought used, and stripe it down and rebuild them - double the fun and sometimes you uncover some hidden hops (bearings, etc.)

I'm a 2WD buggy and truck guy, and honestly can say I think you'll have more fun with a buggy (bodies last longer as well, just have to change wings)....below are some recommendations to try and help:

Used: B5M or Losi 22 2.0.
New: B5M Lite is a good deal (Losi 22 3.0 is more expensive, but nice as well).
ESC: It is really hard to beat the Hobbywing Justock ESC for the price new ($50).
Servo: I've had a lot of success with a Savox 1257, and I've heard the Solar ones are good as well for the price.
Motor: Trackstar marks a nice piece on the lower price end, and these pair well with a Justock ESC. Team Scream racing, among others make some nice ones on the higher end.
Radio Stuff: Best to get a nice piece, but the Futaba 3PL is a quality one, and you can grab one for $50 used these day with a receiver.
Tires: If you are indoors, It's hard not to like a Gold set of JConcepts Dirt Webs. They just seem good everywhere indoors right now.
Batteries: Again, tons of options....I've had alot of success with the Turnigy Nano Tech or Ultimate Nano Techs shorty packs....$35 a piece.

I hope helps a little. Again, don't ignore used, but if you want to go new that is up to you. Take this in any direction you want - lots of good products out there. Everything I listed is just my experiences, so take it for what it is worth.