R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR 22 3.0 Race Kit Thread!
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2016, 09:51 PM
4wd Racer
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bobby Z
I tested my 3.0 at last nights club race with the four gear transmission. I arrived late so I had limited practice. Immediately I noticed the car had significantly more corner entry steering. I moved front shocks to middle hole on tower and this helped smooth out the car but I still had a faster car. Approx. 0.2 to 0.4 secs faster per lap. I'm currently running long arm in the front and may go back to short arm to compare. Local track is very small and tight so corner speed is a must. The car had bit more on power push that will be easy to fix.

If anyone is considering the four gear I recommend it.
It's worth trying the option to try for yourself. I have it on the 22 3.0 as well. More forward bite.

Originally Posted by Vinny Cancilla
your track must be low bite, anything from medium bite and up, most prefer the 3 gear.
Not necessarily. Tebo ran 4 gear style in Dec 2015 at JC Nats at Hobby Plex, and also at the Jan 2016 CRCRC Midwest champs in his RB6. Both tracks had plenty of high bite using clay based compound tires, Chainlinks and Electrons respectively.

Originally Posted by Davidka
He is the only person I have heard of having tried the 4-gear. On power grip has been a shortcoming of my setup at times so I'm interested in hearing more input on the 4-gear.
JR Mitch of TLR also runs 4 gear on his 22 3.0. Tebo runs it in his RB6 as mentioned above.

While we are on the 4 gear topic, of interest is the Cactus Classis 2wd Mod A-2 race last year. Ty Tessman ran 4-gear in his 2wd, while rest of the field seemed to have 3-gear in their 2wd. Ty had full command of the race the entire time, and control.

Ty was simply untouchable with his 4-gear HB 2wd buggy winning the overall 2wd mod event. The 2015 Cactus Classis was a super high bite sugared track!

I found a video link of the event. It seemed like the 3-gear box cars (including Cavalieri's) had trouble clearing or timing the middle long triple section in the middle of the track with the 3-gear, but Ty's 4-gearbox 2wd cleared it every time with ease and plenty of forward traction no problem, and handled rest of track sections very well. He was way out front with his 4-gear 2wd then.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHvEcVHEbFw

Last edited by 4wd Racer; 02-13-2016 at 10:11 PM. Reason: added video link