R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF419
Thread: Tamiya TRF419
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 03:22 AM
Govert
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by niznai
Yeap, I reported the same problem with my TRF418 since new. My car had one full degree of difference left to right. Even changing the split blocks to the old one piece style (tried a few), there was still a difference in rear toe, so I think the holes are drilled in the wrong place in the chassis. I swapped the split mounts around left to right of course to check and the problem was the same. Changing to a Samix chassis didn't solve the problem so either the hole locations were copied from the original and the problem was carried on, or there is some other really fiendshly difficult to pinpoint cause.

I have a Hudy setup station and none of my other cars have this problem (these include a TA05R in which I use the same old style single piece blocks I used to check the TRF418).

I corrected the problem by moving to Xray old style split blocks (single screw; I had to drill a hole in the chassis for the locating pin) and it takes an extra 1mm shim on one side to even out the toe. Tamiya has gone down in quality of their manufacturing in my opinion.
Did you guys ever think of "forcing the suspension blocks to one side"? By that I mean, when you mount a screw in the suspension block, the block will move according to the direction you are screwing. So, clockwise. The suspension block will wander clockwise as well when fully tightening, not (always) noticable by eye. This is completely normal. I even have this on my Xray T4 and previous Capricorn and Tamiya cars.
You should move/hold/force/press the suspension block counter clockwise when tightening the screws, in order to keep it in place and not messing up your toe value. This is completely normal for blocks that do not have the centering posts, like Tamiya has.

If your car has more toe in on the right rear wheel, let's say 1 degree more than the left rear wheel, you need to correct it with only 0.5 degrees. Seems a lot, but it isn't. Loosen all the suspension blocks of the rear suspension, (in this case), tighten the screws from your RIGHT RF block while giving pressure towards the screwing direction. This will reduce toe in on your RIGHT side. To increase toe in on your LEFT side a bit, do the same, tighten the screws of your LEFT RF block and give pressure towards screwing direction. So now, by doing this you have reduced right rear toe in and increased left rear toe in.

Finally, do the same with the RR block. Press it counter clockwise, against the screwing direction, when tightening screws. This will again decrease right rear toe in and increase left rear toe in. As a result you will have equal toe in.

On some cars the chassis holes can be drilled a bit wider or could have worn out a bit, causing the suspension blocks to move when fully tightened. this will screw up your toe value.

Also, what I would always do, check hinge pins as well and rear hubs. Make sure these components are ok. If they are sanded or modified in any other way, just check if your method could not have influenced the toe value in any way.

Third thing: some bearings are not always ok. They give some slop on the axle, causing the axle to move a bit to one side or another. So when you attach the setup system, the slop between axle and bearing will actually cause the toe problem.

Also, detach the setup system and relocate it. Spin the wheel axle a bit and attach the setup system while putting pressure on the setup board, because, just like the suspension blocks, the setup system can also wander off a bit when you thighten the wheel nuts.
I have owned an Integy setup system for years, now I own a Hudy. Much better and much more accurate. But that is some other thing.

Make sure wheel hexes are ok, no debris behind the hex and pin and fully screwed on without any binding problems or any other problems.

Just take good care of the suspension blocks when tightening them. You can ädjust the toe value "by hand" in this way. I am quite sure this will help.

Last edited by Govert; 01-21-2016 at 03:52 AM.