R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF419
Thread: Tamiya TRF419
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2016, 06:28 AM
axle182
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by niznai
Yeap, I reported the same problem with my TRF418 since new. My car had one full degree of difference left to right. Even changing the split blocks to the old one piece style (tried a few), there was still a difference in rear toe, so I think the holes are drilled in the wrong place in the chassis. I swapped the split mounts around left to right of course to check and the problem was the same. Changing to a Samix chassis didn't solve the problem so either the hole locations were copied from the original and the problem was carried on, or there is some other really fiendshly difficult to pinpoint cause.

I have a Hudy setup station and none of my other cars have this problem (these include a TA05R in which I use the same old style single piece blocks I used to check the TRF418).

I corrected the problem by moving to Xray old style split blocks (single screw; I had to drill a hole in the chassis for the locating pin) and it takes an extra 1mm shim on one side to even out the toe. Tamiya has gone down in quality of their manufacturing in my opinion.
Niznai did you swap out more components out towards the wheel? If your hinges were straight, I would then swap arms L to R, then swap out the wheel hubs. I agree, once you can repeat the error even when changing out all parts that make up the toe in, then it must be the chassis. I have started cutting my own chassis lately (I have a 416/7 hybrid 80mm wide, so I can reuse an old 416! first trial is Friday) so Id be VERY surprised if they copied a mistake from another chassis. they are design symmetrical in cad, so I really don't see how the chassis can be to blame. An A arm could be drilled badly, or the bottom hole in the hub could be out too. Hope that helps