R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - NICAD Charging and Discharging
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 12:22 PM
sakadachi
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by UKRCGUY
Hi,

No they are just the cadnica regular 1300mah packs. Regimen wise should they be discharged before every charge? My charger has the option to discharge then charge afterwards? Discharge option i can select 0.1a and 0.1v increments, not sure what to discharge it down to. Charging wise again not sure what to charge at, i can select 0.1a and 0.1v increments...
I see. The primary reason why I discharge my NiCD is to balance the 6 cells on my side by side... But you can't do this on a sports pack, nor is there a reliable way to balance-discharge using just my charger.

I think most people damage their sports packs due to fast charge rate and over charging more than anything. The other cause is people discharging too low using those 'conditioners' that just plugs into the battery connector wiring.

So for sure your charge rate should be no more than 1.3A. For discharge I would not go too low as you have no way to monitor the weakest cell. Most Tamiya ESC's cut-off around 4V-4.5V for your reference, so you might want to start with like 5V cut off before your charge cycle. GL