R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB2 2WD Buggy Thread
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2016, 02:57 AM
Lonestar
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Back from the race, the car was great, but as usual it took me a while to learn the track. I qual'ed 4th which is my best result in a long while, usually I make the bottom of the A or the top of the B, but this time I had a bit more luck than usual... until the mains. I broke in the first one (FHS3x6 went out on rear block grrr) and got taken out in the first lap in 2nd one and had to start from dead last, I could climb back to 6th or 7th but not any further.

The car is surprisingly stable for a mid-motor design. the std 4deg rear toe plus 0 deg antisquat adjustment certainly helped. I did feel it hurt the mid-speed turn right before the straight though as I was kind of understeering there and it costed me a couple of tenths every lap as I couldn't throttle hard at the beginning of the straight. I didn't dare change it as I was too worried I'd lose the rear, although hi-grip, mid-speed corners is where the car should shine by design. I also went up from 4K to 7K in the diff and the car was better everywhere, esp. at the hard braking at the end of the straight (hairpin) where I didn't have to tighten my buttocks everytime I tapped the brakes. One of the other guys I was running with tried to move the pack to the front and he said it was undriveable there. Overall, nothing to complain about, the car worked beautifully for me. A bit more luck would have landed me a top5 finish probably. I just wished I had more wheen time and a track to practice at

Just one Q though - I ended up adding 50g under the lipo to settle the car down a bit, and it worked beautifully handling-wise. However, as it lifted the shorty by about 1.5mm or so, I had to file the "fork" of the battery holder so it could fit under the waterfall brace... that was a bit of a hack, really. Any elegant solution you folks can suggest?

Thanks!
Paul