R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Gettting back into R/C
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2016, 08:02 AM
emerilnut
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
As a suggestion, I would recommend that you get tools that have a pass thru on the handle for hex drivers. In situations where you need a bit more torque, it can really work well to just pass another driver through and get a good twist.

Also, look into the various oils you may need, some suggestions:

- Shock Oil (PT Racing Brand I use, but you can get some good stuff from other places like AE oil)
- AE Green Slime (helps when assemblying shock orings)
- Differential oil (this will be dependent on the vehicle if it uses a fluid filled gear diff)
- Blue Threadlock (for metal to metal connections)
- Good Tire CA Glue (I like AKA stuff but a variety of brands work well)
- Simple Green (Works great for cleaning stuff)
- WD-40 (I use this to blast off metal parts after I clean them for no rust)
- Motor Spray (note, I use a particular cleaner that is safe for electronics that you can get at a car hardware store, cheaper and works fine for cleaning motors, bearings, etc)
- Bearing oil

Some useful tools (note, you don't need all of this, just stuff I found useful):

- Digital Caliper
- Hex Nut Drivers
- Hex Drivers
- Body Scissors
- Body Hole punch
- "third Hand" Jewelry tool, basically will let you hold stuff still while you solder
- Battery Connectors like deans or something else
- Soldering Iron and Electronic specific solder
- Quality Servo Tape (I like the clear stuff from Parma, same as some stuff at walmart)
- Dentist style "pick" to get dirt out of screw holes
- Brush of some sort to dust vehicle off
- Alcohol or similar wipes (useful in a pinch to quick clean a surface for remounted, like a tire or esc that came loose)
- Trakpower dry lubricant (works well for stuff you want to lubricate that you don't want to collect dust)
Sweet! I already have a lot of these tools from the days when I raced actual cars and from doing my own gunsmithing. And I have some of the RC stuff when I tried to get back in the hobby with nitro 10 years ago. Alot of the liquid stuff I don't have, but those can be ordered.

But what a great list. Thanks!!!