R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - silver can vs cta can silver can keep up?
Old 01-05-2016, 05:00 PM
hprt
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
I am thinking of setting up a gt car to take to Victoria, I keep getting told there is no point the silver can can't compete. does anyone run silver can and how do they fair with the cta car?
in the old days, with fixed end-bell 21.5 motors, the answer was a resounding yes. The Langley family were very competitive with silver can powered cars in the first couple of years we ran combined GT/CTA at WCICS.

With the last few releases of 21.5 motors, the silver can unfortunately has no chance.

The best I have been able to do is with a sub 1000g ready-to-race FF03 evo on Sorex 28's, that will dominate my CTA car in corner speed, but can't quite keep up in overall lap time, even giving up 400g+ in weight.

Maybe a 1000g TC car might stand a chance, but I haven't been successful getting one down to that weight. Even then, expect to go through a few silver cans to find a decent performer, break it in correctly, and then burn it up in a few heats due to the low FDR gearing requirements to keep up on the straights.

It is a true engineering challenge - I wish you luck.