R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 06:07 AM
Vincent_Diesel
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DIRT DIGGER
hello all im hoping i can get some response's please. i am running a d413 now and not too happy with it. im thinking about getting the xray but curious how it does on med bite indoor small track. please help. thanks
Originally Posted by STLNLST
Low/med bite indoor clay/dirt track the 15 is the King but a couple of guys now have the 16 and are getting their legs under the car. I myself have the D413 and will be switching.

I just switched from a D413 and just finished my 2016 build. From a build process here is what I noticed right off the bat.

XB4 plastics are way harder especially in the arms. I was always worried about stripping parts on the D413, especially after multiple adjustments like lower shock holes. Also the flex on the D413 was very noticeable which probably explains why the D413 was so tough.

Probably goes without saying but the tolerances are much tighter on the XB4. No need to "shim the slop out" like the D413. These tolerances are up there like my Kyosho's. Although notice some slop on the XB4 gear diffs, but I have read NOT to shim because X-Ray accounts for heat expansion.

Ball cups on the XB4 may be the most difficult to snap on from all the builds I've done. I hope this is a good thing. No wonder there are holes for ball stud removal.

Finally, pulling out differentials on the XB4 is easy breasy. Wow. Reminds of the DEX410 in terms of simplicity. Try that on the D413.

Last words. On low to medium bite indoor clay the D413 manages to find excellent traction. My theory is due to the higher flex by overall design. On astro the D413 was just too difficult to drive for me, so I switched, way too squirrely and unpredictable on astro. Hopefully this changes for me with the XB4.

I'm waiting for my body to come back from the painter, and XB4 will be put to the test on Astro. I sure hope it delivers. This is my first X-Ray and my gut tells me they have a history developing products for higher bite surfaces. Overall I enjoyed putting it together.