R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 3 Racing Sakura XI Sport
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2015, 02:45 PM
(0000000000)
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The Trackstar is a re-badged Reedy Sonic motor. Again, depending on your track layout, your FDR gearing can be anywhere from 3.0 to 5.0, your endbell timing from 0 to 40, and this will also depend on if you run turbo boost or not.

When I have run a 13.5 hobbyking motor in my Sakura Xi, it has been indoors on carpet with a 60 foot backstretch. I ran at 20' timing, with 4.25 FDR and maximum turbo boost, during an actual race condition. In North America, if one is not racing, one is bashing - and there's nothing wrong with bashing.

Sorry if I have not been clear enough, but if you are playing outside by yourself in non-racing conditions, then your gearing will not be too much of an issue, so long as you monitor your equipment and operate within safe parameters. Furthermore, your setup will not be much of an issue, as you really have nothing to base it on at the moment. There is no universal general setup, other than to build the car as per instructions and begin the troubleshooting from there. As I mentioned, the tires in the kit are soft and adequate to give you a better understanding of where you want to go after initial setup. For anyone to mention a specific tire to you now, would simply be opinion, versus knowledgeable recommendation.

Now that we know what your intention is, and that you are using your friends TC4 as an example, I would recommend you take a look at his TC4 setup and gearing. If he has a similar motor in his TC4, your Sakura with a 13.5 will be similar in speed, if you match his FDR. If he has an old, beat up motor, then the trackstar 13.5 will pass him easily. Speed is relative, and racing with a friend is only fun when both cars are operating at similar speeds. For this reason, I would recommend a 17.5 or 21.5 motor, as trying to rub side-by-side with 13.5 motors can be difficult and destructive.

So go out and have fun with the RC car. If you notice that the vehicle is not fast enough, you can either gear higher, increase timing, or add turbo boost. If you notice that you need to turn tighter, explain your symptoms here and we can suggest various tuning options. As long as you do not overgear the motor or run with 1mm ride height, you'll be fine.