R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Seattle RC Racers/Hangar 30
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2015, 08:52 PM
MarkBrown
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kody
These races you speak of are super loose on there rules. None of the motors are currently ROAR legal 25.5 and possibly not even close to the new specs. I could be wrong but nothing is listed and I've heard most are having to change there 25.5 to comply with the new specs. So could those motor that won have 12.5 rotors and inductance numbers well below ROAR's new specs, yes they possibly could have been. We will have to test and see how a ROAR spec'ed competitor motor stacks up. Its what we've heard from many racers so I'll say its our responsibility to look at the option now.

Some are buying multiple motor to build a decent one. The consistency just isn't there anymore it seems. So its an all out build war at the moment.

Schuur and Trinity both claim that the motors they are selling today (the ones I've been racing against in LA) meet the ROAR specs. They don't claim to have *approvals* since there haven't been any approvals. But surely Schuur and Trinity will have big problems with their customers if the motors they've sold as meeting ROAR specs don't get approved. Schuur and Trinity would have to replace the motors, very expensive for them. (R1 Wurks is in a different situation as they are not selling a product yet, just loaning it out to their special friends.)

The ROAR 25.5 specs do not directly control inductance, only resistance. The specs do not control the rotor strength, only rotor dimensions. These are just examples of things that give the motor makers room for development to make the motors better over time. They always have done this in the past; there is no reason to believe that this time it will be different.

Novak is a pillar of the RC industry and I would expect them to be responsive to customers who get dud motors. I've gotten good service from Novak in the past. Have the folks who have bought sub-standard Novak motors shared their complaints with Novak, or just with you?

ROAR is in the business of promoting obsolescence. Our club is not in that business. Let ROAR do its 25.5 thing. Meanwhile, let's stick with what's worked for our club.