R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TB Evo 6
Thread: Tamiya TB Evo 6
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2015, 04:52 AM
rc_square24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

To any of you out there with the Exotek conversion, I'm putting together the rear gearbox and motor mount to the main chassis and the alignment seems to be a bit off that causes the gold input shaft to bind.

I started off with setting the plunge of the input shaft so the diff pinion doesn't catch the inner surfaces of the gearbox case, until it spins free on its own (this is with all screws of the gearbox tightened, just the input shaft and pinion assembly inside and no diff installed).

For the motor mount, the tolerances of the bearing hole was very tight. I did some sanding on the inner surfaces until its just a bit snug with the bearing seated.

When I tighten up the gearbox and motor mount to the chassis, I notice binding when the input shaft spins. The shaft is considerably tighter than when there's no bearing support from the motor mount.

If I insert two 0.2 shims below the bottom half gearbox (between chassis plate and gearbox) on the left side to raise it, it relieves a bit of the binding. Therefore I'm fairly sure the shaft alignment is off, I'm just not sure if its the holes on the chassis that's causing this or the machining/holes of the motor mount itself.

I checked the chassis plate on glass and its flat, tried another set of gearboxes and the binding is still there. Would appreciate any advice on other things to check.

Though I'm not 100% sure but the shaft looks skewed to one side just from eyeballing.