R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - What is the point of 17.5 blinky class?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Mason
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wittyname
I don't have any real experience with the class , but from what I read here it seems the motors are the #1 cheater problem . Wouldn't a sealed can motor with no timing adjustments go a long way to fixing that ? I know some always will find a way , but come on ....
This just means that people will buy 10 motors to find the 1 good one. Then if one bearing goes bad or if you are on a real dirty track how would they clean it out or replace bearings?
The timing part is debatable.

It also seems to me the greatest cost comes at trying to get down to fighting weight. Wouldn't it be simple enough to raise the min weight for the class ? If the lightest kit sold had to ADD weight to make minimum weight , who would try and lose weight ? Just to have to add it back ?
I don't remember the last time the minimum weight changed. I don't think it's changed much since SUB C cell days and they were certainly heavier. Even since the gold pan days people would hack up their chassis and put the weight where they wanted it. That will not change. In all cars the more weight you have around the rotation point the quicker it will be over something that isn't "optimized". On lefty/righty cars that's near center. On lefty only cars that's on the left side, generally speaking. The rules allow anyone to build their own car from the ground up however they want. That's what this hobby was built on. Many companies just make it easier for people to get going.

This extra weight would force people to back up on the gearing some , which would slow the cars some . Which some seem to want .
The issue is the difference in speed, or lack thereof, between mod and stock at many places that get exposure on here/liverc/magazines. Certainly there are plenty of tracks its not an issue at. At an industry level its a two-fold issue. Due you keep making money because of the popularity of the class due to its "on-the-cusp-of-joe-racer-ability-speed" or do you slow it down for the new guy and start selling mod motors again to the experienced racer? I doubt adding enough weight to slow cars down would do anything more than burn up existing equipment or break more parts. While I'm not an electrical engineer I have a strong suspicion it is easier to come out with a new slower motor than re-engineering every car out there.
Keep in mind there are a few classes not race anymore because they got to fast for the majority.

Would a esc limit of say 60a with no timing help ?

I never got to run 17.5 . Our track is mod only but I certainly wish I could run a spec 2wd buggy class . I love driving 2wd , I suck at it , and learning on track in the middle of a mod heat isn't cool.
I highly doubt it. People will just want batteries with less resistance and less voltage drop.. so you could expect a battery of the month club to form.