R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Potential Scale RWD Touring Car Project
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2015, 12:57 AM
chad_h
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TB03Racer09
Background Info:
I used to be into 1/10 touring car racing, but I have lost interest in that and I'm now interested in scale onroad rc driving. That is driving scale looking (and handling) cars on tracks that are in proportion to what you may find in the real world, so very narrow lanes and tight corners. Now there obviously aren't cars already designed for this purpose so I need to get something that I can easily adjust to suit my needs

I have a Tamiya TRF419 which is kinda setup for this type of driving but its no optimal, 4wd is overkill and not scale (Toyota 86) and not enough steering angle. So I'm considering getting a RWD Drift chassis like the one linked and slapping on grippy tires instead. That way it will have all the steering angle I need, electronics layout that is optimal for RWD and much quieter at low speeds due to no front driveshafts.

The problems
-Is the ackermann settings going to be too extreme?
-With a front motor, is it still possible to generate enough grip so that the car doesn't slide all other the place? Will be using a 21.5t motor and I'm quiet tame with the throttle

What are your thoughts? Is this worth pursuing?

http://www.rcmart.com/fsxd-ultra-fro...cPath=420_1611
you may get ideas from pan cars as they are RWD

Look into the WGT-R (World Grand Touring Rubber) class. The class uses a simple RWD pan car design that been around for ages combined with rubber tires that allow the cars to handle more like a 1:1. (and the tires squeel in the corners!) Plus with realistic looking GT/street car bodies its is very scale.