R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Traxxas X-Maxx
Thread: Traxxas X-Maxx
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2015, 10:39 PM
Herrsavage
Tech Champion

I see a lot of people here and elsewhere saying "I hope.." "I hope.." "I hope..".... That this time it'll be different, etc. Maybe this time I'm wrong, but why would the X-MAXX be any different from any other Traxxas product ever? Only this time it's much more proprietary, and it will be more expensive to get parts... (on a 10kg MT made mostly of plastic..) This thing, IMO, will almost certainly be a money pit requiring tons of upgrades and spares. I.e. typical Traxxas. Only this time the chop-shops and discount codes are cut out, making spares anyway more expensive..

R.e. money-pits, not all cars are equaly in need of dumping huge amounts of money into them. My AE SC8 and LST2's (yes, both nitro..) have been running strong for years and years, no need of more upgrades beyond the mimimal few I gave them at the beginning. The MT4 G3 is definitely not a money pit like others can be. Value for money it simply blows the Savage Flux and E-revo away. And handles and jumps better to boot..

It seems to me there are a few constants, or near-constants, in RC. One, 6S is almost always too much for 8th scale. At least for me, in that I have a lowish tolerance for maintenance and having to do repairs. Having said that, this X-MAXX is bigger and it looks good-ish on 6S in terms of speed. So, for people wanting 8S and more, well..., it's your own fault to a certain extent if it implodes..

And secondly, it's my opinion anyway that 8th scale is where it's at. It has the best combo of size, price, performance, durability, availability, options, popularity, etc. 10th scale is physically smaller but the price is not proportionately smaller, i.e. you spend nearly 8th scale money for a lot less than an 8th scale car. I personally hate 10th scale. Too much money for too little fun.. Then there's 5th scale, which is bigger, but costs WAY more than 8th scale, and isn't as fast, can't jump as high, spare parts, tires, etc.. are stupid expensive, you need bigger areas to run them, and so on. Talking the good stuff here like Losi, HPI, et al.

So anyway, I like the size of the X-MAXX, but where is it going to fit? Who's going to really be happy spending a grand on a big plastic truck it if it really does need a bunch of upgrades and due to its weight will never be able to jump and perform like an 8th scale? I'm sure it will be fun a few times to blast back and forth on the dirt. But that will get boring I think pretty quickly. And the videos of people doing it especially..