R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2015, 12:56 AM
Thunder Trail
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)
Default Is it time for a new SCTE Truck

I have noticed the improvements made on the SCTE truck in the last few years. They go unnoticed if you didn't own the older versions or didn't keep one long enough to wrench on it often.

A few improvements on the 2.0 stand out to me.

- HD diff case with molded inserts, better diff screws and thicker diff gasket
- Graphite shock towers with more camber rod location options
- HD and lighten out drives
- Harden shock bodies
- Aluminum shock caps with emulsion bleed screw
- Improved pivot balls, even though they inherited the sloppy fit
- chassis with battery location options, better balance
- Harden black machined ring and pinion gears for front and rear diffs

I do think its time to offer a Professional Racer Kit version of the truck. Call it the SCTE 2.0 PRO. Yes it will cost more, but all the goodies up front cost less than adding them later. Many racers would pay extra up front knowing nothing else would be needed. Folks on a budget could still buy the standard 2.0 kit and buy the upgrades over time.

The new 2.0 PRO should include every TLR upgrade part available along with some vendor parts to make at least four improvements before release.

My thoughts on Vendor parts needed:

1. Add HD diff washers/shims like the X-Ray washers. They greatly enhance longevity of diffs to include diff gears and seals. They also greatly reduce outdrive wobble.

2. A ball bearing ackerman plate such as the Vision Racing carbon graphite version takes slop out of the steering.

3. 6.8mm steel balls for all rod ends. They fit the stock plastic rod ends just right and last a year or two. They weigh more, but last and last.

4. Chassis braces/stiffeners such as the MIP eliminate the plastic rod ends that do fail on large track crashes.

Here is a list of Losi and TLR items that should be added to the new 2.0 PRO Kit:

- Shock Conversion Set, SCTE to 22: SCTE 2.0 [ TLR334029 ]

- Team Losi Racing TEN-SCTE 2.0 Center Dogbone Driveline Set [TLR332015]

- Team Losi Racing Aluminum Rear Gearbox Bearing Insert Set (2) [TLR3100]

- Team Losi Racing Aluminum 15 Degree Front Spindle Carrier (+2mm) [TLR334017] To get the most from these spindle carriers you will need Tekno RC M6 Driveshaft & Lightened Outdrive Set [TKR2210X]

- Team Losi Racing SCTE Aluminum Rear Hex Set (+0.5mm Width) [TLR332014] Tuning parts

- Losi Aluminum Rear Hub Set [LOSB2130]

- Losi Front & Rear Sway Bar Kit (Ten-T) [LOSB2222] Tuning part

- Team Losi Racing Carbon Battery Strap [TLR331006]

There might be a few others, but this was what came to mind about parts that should be in the SCTE 2.0 PRO Kit. That is, if it is ever released.

Hope your listening Santa. I know what I want for Christmas

Last edited by Thunder Trail; 10-03-2016 at 02:13 AM.