R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Ko BMC Speedo
Thread: Ko BMC Speedo
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2015, 09:59 AM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnny Wishbone
Hi Scott, so you run one in pan 1S? Are you using a booster?
The esc WILL power the receiver and servo down to as low as the battery gets in a race but the servo speed slows throughout the race. I have run the inexpensive HobbyKing voltage boosters on these for several years now (almost six years!) with excellent results.

As far as a heat sink, I've run this speed control recently in TC 17.5 stock without heat issues, so I would think in VTA its not needed. If you where to run it, I think heat paste would be better than the tape they used to supply as I don't think the heat transfer is that effecient using the tape.
I am familiar with the clay-like "potting compound" that works fine if the heat sink is somehow fastened, but it would not hold the heat sink on adequately on it's own. Is this "heat paste" adhesive in nature or is it this clay-like compound I describe?

VTA is tuned a bit differently than I recall TC being (though I have not actually raced TC in the brushless era so who knows...). We gear the car pretty much as high as we can keeping the motor below 160 degrees with fans, etc. Especially on a "fast" track that they tend to run at big events, mostly sweepers with few real hard "acceleration events". In the past I've run esc's with integral heat sinks, I was just concerned that the BMC doesn't have one (though I have three of the KO heat sinks and two of the fans floating about in my workshop).

I also would look at running a set of caps on the speed control.
I've been running the KO "double barrel" capacitors for several years as well on the single-cell applications. Unfortunately I don't have a spare one. Do you have a cap set you would recommend?

Many thanks for your helpful responses!

Scottrik