R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Change carpet onroad in the U.S.?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 AM
nwagner
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by theproffesor
While I maintain the focus should be on how to get more drivers into on-road, this thread seems to keep diverting back to how to re-slice the existing pie instead of growing it.
I keep redirecting the convo because I feel the issue is a big picture problem, IMO part of the cause of lack of growth is because the system is broken.

Many guys running VTA or USGT look at 17.5 like it is impossible for them to run due to the speeds. Then you get crap turnouts for ROAR Nationals because they don't run the USVTA classes. You also then get such a diluted class selection at club races where you're running with 3-5 guys, and you have marginal fun. Or large regional events with 13 classes, half of them barely filling one main.

For carpet TC at least, I still feel that 10.5 or 13.5, 21.5, and a 25.5 USGT/VTA hybrid would work the best at trimming classes while still having appeal to almost every driver. 12th is indeed a little tough because 21.5 as the mid class is probably too slow. I think it's probably best to keep it at 17.5 but restrict the highest level class to 10.5 or 13.5 blinky and have a GT12 or Spec 12 class as the amateur class.

Then you'd have 3 12th scale, 3 TC, GTR/Spec175GT, and F1.

8 classes, with at least 2 appealing to most.

Last edited by nwagner; 11-02-2015 at 11:01 AM.