R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Change carpet onroad in the U.S.?
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2015, 08:26 AM
trackdesigner71
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
how do you expect a racer to move up if they win a A-main event?...is the track going to demand it?....is the track going to supply the equipment to run the next class?....is the track going to ban them from running and supporting the track just to run with the "big boys"......what if they don't have the money to do so?.....what if the don't simply don't like the next class up the ladder?....

just asking?....I think racers should race what they like and enjoy....

All I see is this thread is making onroad more complicated and scaring more people away. Its a cry baby thing.....instead of just doing the simple...which is offer "your" classes at your track....whatever they may be.....that simple....do what is best for your track/area.

why all this?...cause it just proves that onroad is never satisfied...the need for speed and not growth.

we have 2-3 classes at my local track, and the doors are open (10 years and counting)...nothing wrong with it....17.5 TC and VTA...sometimes GT and 12th scale

PS...that includes your "national" events as well....I don't offer Mod TC at the Southern Nationals or Thunder Jam...Why?...cause nobody locally runs it...

oops...I am this year...lol
Originally Posted by mooby64
Having a "Break-out" rule sounds good, in theory, but with the smaller and smaller turnout of weekly racers, it is pointless.
Originally Posted by Kevin K
There is not too many classes in On-Road.....there is not enough people to fill out all the classes that people want to race. That is a problem!

All you have to do is look at Off-Road the Cactus Classic had 12 freakin classes....guess what it had over 400 entries in a few days of opening its registration, so that makes any statement about too many classes MOOT!

On-Road cars are too fast for most people racing on indoor carpet tracks so slowing them down is a good idea. I really do not think getting rid of classes is a good idea it will only push some of what few people are still racing away. What would be a better idea is a class structure based on track size.

The harsh reality is that there is no magic bean or type of car or class that is going to get new people in. People are not flocking to on-road like in the past. Try to keep what we have and work from the center out.

You all raise some very fine points.

What I was getting at with reducing the class options I guess was that if there weren't 10 different TC options or 12th scale options, you wouldn't have 5 guys in a class on a Friday night (or whenever a track runs club races). I know that onroad probably won't get to the level it was at in the 90s and early 2000s in the early days of TC, but Id love to at least see it get to a point where if I look up a video on youtube, there won't be only 5 cars running a class.

As for the A-main promotion system, I went with three because that was the number used on the Web.com/Nike Tour for their "battlefield promotion". It could be really any number (except one mind you), as long as there is incentive available for the success garnered by the given racer.
Me personally, my motivation would be to be able to always challenge myself, racing against progressively better competition with each move up, a motivation that I think ought to be considered by every racer.
I don't think that the race director should be sitting in his director chair, and when a racer hits the "promotion number" that he goes. "well Johnny, that was your 4th A-main win of the season...you are no longer allowed to run 25.5 at all, so sell your 25.5s and get 17.5s...sorry!"
SOmebody touched on the track supplying the equipment for the next class...if I am reading correctly, unless the modern ESCs for brushless motors are keyed to specific winds, much like the ESCs of old, if the track say, had a supply of "award motors", and that way, if a racer earns his "battlefield promotion", they get say, one or two 17.5 motors along with their plaque or trophy so that helps with the transition to the next class up.