R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Xray XB4 thread
Thread: Xray XB4 thread
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM
ResultsRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BentKa
We run the same bevel and pinion gear for a full season with no issues.

There's a reason why when we go to the track to practice and do setup testing we get 600+ laps done in an evening and the other guys get maybe 150-200 and spend the rest of the time wrenching.
  • Over-tightened screws for bulkhead cover
  • Over-tightened screws for diff housing
  • Worn out bulkhead
  • Already stripped one of the gears and only replaced one of them
  • Shot bearings
  • Slipper cranked down way too hard (we run 0mm on the spring)

In 98 out of the 100 times I help people at the track with stripped gears one of these things are the culprit.

For the remaining 2 out of 100 we change parts, problem goes away and we never actually pin pointed the exact issue.

What I'm trying to say is……..I'm always told by the owner that everything's perfect and every part has been inspected before I start disassembling…….but almost every single time I find one of the top 4 things on the list to be the culprit……why is that

Race kits with todays high powered motors (we run a boosted 4.5T) DO demand some actual maintenance from the owner to be able to withstand the abuse we throw at them.

Sometimes I wish everyone should have been forced to own a late 80's or early 90's race car running brushed motors and Nimh batteries before owning any R/C car at all so you would actually know the real struggle of keeping a car race ready

Here's Malin running at the worlds with her XB4 '16 with boosted 4.5T and slipper set to absolute minimum = 0mm gap.

So I can't for the life of me understand why people at the track need to run their slippers cranked down……..and then proceed to cry about why their gears wear out

The answer I usually get is; "I'm having problems clearing that jump……"

Rant over

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

PS! Not aimed at you personally ResultsRC

Bent
To be fair I do run the slipper tight but on med bite clay track it has been this way since beginning in both cars.and never caused issue till bulkheads were broken and replaced I'd think on carpet that would be more issue. Replacing one gear isn't a real culprit because they were both new at some point and still stripped for some reason To be more specific on over tightening. Diff or case. Wouldn't the plastic hole strip before either distorted? What are you looking for in this case to know that was the issue. So if you loosen a bit does that fix issue. If the tolerance of slight over tighten is that close with these bulk heads?Are the reinforced 16 bulkheads solving this issue ? When are those avail ? I replaced rear bulkhead and both composite gears and used one small shim in back of pinion to push closer to bevel in one car and just getting past dozen packs run. I'll let ya know how far it makes it.