Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2015, 11:17 AM
jbrow1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LloydLoar
Keep in mind that outright straightaway speed (which you note was solved by going up a pinion) is also impacted by corner speed, so in many cases you will find that it is better to work on improving corner speed than simply gearing up, as gearing up will likely increase fade and make that increased up-front speed pointless late in the run when you are half a second slower than others... In that same vein, if you race at a track where the fast guys have a ton of fade, you can likely be really competitive if you focus on reducing fade, even if you are lacking the outright pace in the first minute...
Good points, and I am going to have to think about that. I made the mistake of running my smallest capacity battery in the main, and I do feel it slacked off a bit near the end. It also didn't have the over-all zip of one of my other batteries that I should have used for the main. I'm having fun, this whole spec/stock racing is new for me. I'm a big fan of modified where I can run more budget oriented stuff or old batts and not have it come into play during a race and just motor up. This is the first time I've ever really felt like my battery held me back in a race. I say that simply because it wasn't as fast right from the start as the car had been in the qualifiers, and my buddy motor'd me down for the win I knew he was coming, and it was obvious he had more ponies than me in that race. Really need to get there on a practice day to play and sort things out.

There's not a lot of 1/12 racing here in Michigan that I know of. This place I'm racing at is "new." It's a track that moved locations, and ran 1/12 about ten years ago, but everybody stopped for whatever reason and it became oval only. Now they're trying to drum up interest and do road coarse anything with wheels, along with oval, and carpet off-road. I know there's a carpet track in West Michigan, I hope to go there and sounds like they have some really fast guys there. There is also supposed to be some local fast dudes from here starting to show up, that will be exciting to get more cars in the main.

Last edited by jbrow1; 10-20-2015 at 02:02 PM.