R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Experience Sharing: Cost of RC in Australia
Old 10-06-2015, 07:39 PM
svndayNZ
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jedx
Slightly off topic since it doesn't really comment on the cost of racing.

I know of someone who set up an 'RC' bank account with scheduled deposits of $80 per week. That was the figure he decided he could afford.
Equates to $4160 per year.
If he wanted a new car, and the money was there, he could buy it. If he traveled to a big event, the money also came out of that account.
If he sold old gear, the money would go into that account to bump it up.

Not a bad idea for those looking to keep a lid on things and force a bit of control on spending.
I've done a lot of buying and selling lately but been criticised for not being able to settle on something. I'm a buyer by profession but I've never once made a single dollar selling old gear or on selling a second hand kit I bought.
If something isn't being used I'd rather offer it up for a fair price and another racer can get some use out of it.

My local hobby shop Hoot RC / RC arena I've spent on average $450 a month for 8 months straight and never once asked for a discount.

But going forward I'll bank my budget into a paypal account, so when you sell something it's in there, if you buy something it comes out of there.

The main reason I started this thread was it's all linked back to how few people are getting involved in this hobby. I'm trying to figure out all the reasons why.