R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - motor "chattering" problem , help
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 11:19 AM
AssocRacer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by spookie
I've done it, with a sensored Turnigy Trackstar and HW esc, worked fine. I did discuss it with someone here beforehand and they said the motor just defaults back to -0- timing without the esc timing input. I would say there is something wrong with that esc. I also have a LRP 17.5 sensored motor here that runs fine on a Mamba Max esc without sensor. I would guess the esc mosfets are damaged. They are the "timing" of the esc. They switch the fields in the motor windings to start the motor and keep it running.
Not all sensored motors can run on a sensorless speed control. None of the sensored motors that I have will run on a sensorless speed control. They all do exactly what his is doing.

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
Driving a sensored motor with a non-sensored ESC? I don't think that is going to work. I think you can run a non-sensored motor with a sensored ESC, but not the other way around. Somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

-Cpt.
I agree, sounds like the motor you got wasn't designed to be run without the sensor hooked up. The slowness and cogging you're getting is a classic sign of a sensor issues. If you put a good motor on it and know it's not the speed control then the only other logical conclusion is the motor. My guess is the motor requires a sensored speed control.