R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - engine temps am i reading right
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 02:38 PM
DmonEY
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maximo
Go to a local park and spend time with your nitro and try to understand what sounds to listen for as anything else is really a waste of time and money.... Temp guns add some convenience for knowing your temps but in terms of actually tuning they offer you nothing that a few drops of water or spit wont do for you, in the end learning to tune by sound is easier then you would think and the results are unbeatable........... As a hint the main thing I try to really listen for is how the engine reacts when you let off the throttle.... a properly tuned engine will idle down quickly to a low steady idle...a lean or improperly tuned engine will struggle to idle down quickly and often times will hang RPM......... in fact a lean engine will never idle down nicely, it will always want to hang RPM or ring ping ping when you let off trigger.......no matter what a temp gun says if the engine idles down correctly its not overheating...and if the engine is ring pinging pinging and the temps are reading normal doesn't mean the engine is not lean and starving for fuel.................The sound these engines make never lies, you cannot trick or fool me with a lean engine, I can hear it immediately when you let off the trigger, you can't make a lean engine engine sound proper even if you tried, this is why tuning by sound is soo much better then by temps.....
I 110% agree I have never had a temp gun. I have
Always did it. By sound and smoke